No article, just my thoughts on a few NFL related subjects. - Dave
1. I have seen multiple articles over the last few days state that Tom Brady is preparing to "move on" from the New England Patriots, based on things Adam Schefter said in the NFL Pregame show before their MNF game against the Jets.
“Let’s boil this down to the basic facts once again, let’s look at some simple things: Has he put his home for sale? Yes. Has his trainer put his home for sale? Yes. Has he set up his contract to void after this season to become a free agent? Yes. So, if he’s selling his home and his trainer is selling his home and he’s voiding his contract? What does that tell you? He’s setting up to move on.”
OK. And? I guess this really depends on what we mean by "moving on". Tom Brady is 42 years old. Schefter wants us to look at some "simple things". Well, the simple explanation is that while these "facts" COULD theoretically mean Brady is playing on exploring Free Agency, it's much more likely, at least it seems to me, that he has decided to hang it up after this season, Super Bowl or not.
Why on God's green Earth would a future HOF QB who is going to be 43 before the next season starts, who has only ever known success in New England, with multiple Super Bowl rings, EVER want to start over with a new team? It makes no sense at all. Players either sign with teams during free agency because of the money, or because they think it gives them a better chance at winning a title. Neither of which applies to Tom Brady. If Brady and the Patriots don't sign a contract extension, it's because Tom informed Bob Kraft he was done. PERIOD.
2. The Detroit Lions just traded Safety Quandre Diggs and a 7th rounder to Seattle for a 5th rounder.
Lots of Detroit Lions fans and players are pissed about this...but I am not one of them. Diggs was a really good safety. WAS. This year though, he has been absolutely useless. He also carries a fairly heavy salary cap number for being so useless. The Lions freed up cap space by getting rid of a player who isn't performing.
3. Detroit Lions RB Kerryon Johnson is going on IR, dammit. I'm gonna be honest...this whole balanced attack thing Detroit was gonna do under new OC Bevell was kind of dependent on Kerryon being healthy. The Lions depth at RB is not great. Rather than try to pretend they are still going for balance, by running the ball for 1 yard gains multiple times a game, I say fuck it. Your star RB is gone, time to let your star QB have some fun. Don't even pretend you aren't one dimensional, revel in it. Make it your goal to get Matt Stafford 5,000 passing yards and 50 TDs. Just air that shit out.
4. Two, if not three former Heisman trophy winning QBs will be out of a job with their current teams by the end of the year. Looking at you, Jameis, Marcus and Cam...
5. Jim Harbaugh isn't jumping back to the NFL. These rumors pop up every year, it's old news.